Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Folsom Cyclebration

With Little City Stage race in a month, I thought it would be wise to try for multiple day racing.  Folsom Cyclebration is a well put together series.  Sadly I couldn't make the Circuit Race on Sunday. But I did enjoy the TT on Friday and didn't hate the crit on Saturday.  I was able to work in one more day on Thursday at a local twilight crit series a coach is starting up.

First, the practice crit.  Since there were only two categories, the A's (Cat's 1, 2 and 3) and the B's (4 and 5) I of course did the B's, which turned out to be the biggest sandbagging I've ever done in my life. For the record I have won two bike races.  The first was the beginner class mountain bike race called Prairie City, the second was this crit.  Medium sized fish in teeny-tiny pond.  Don't get me wrong, weening is still fun and ostensibly I earned free entry into the Saturday crit that followed.  I'm waiting to see this promise fulfilled.

Friday was the TT and here's my position for all of you to analyze, critique and offer to fix for a reasonable fee:
 _MG_5396

So I've done about 5 time trials, and usually mounted my road bike and sometimes even threw on aero bars.  Pretty much I suck at it and have been trying to at least not lose position in a stage race.  This time out Carson lent me his transition and I hoped to honor his TT skill with a respectable ride.  I can't say how much respect it earned but it did provide me with my first ever podium photo:
photo credit: Brian Malmers
I can't believe I let the white t-shirt team beat me for 2nd.

The boys in the 3's also had a good day with 3 Davis boys in the top 5.  Claudio, Ben and Malm crushed it.


Feeling quite satisfied with myself I prepared for the dreaded D shaped crit.  This is perhaps my least favorite crit course because it isn't remotely technical and doesn't lend itself to break-aways.  That said I decided to "play it dumb" and try to go for every prime I could, except of course the cytomax prime.  I distinctly remember watching a rider go off the front while the dude behind me laughed and said, "It's all yours".  Basically, what I was trying to do was get Omnium Point primes and I ended up snagging 3rd three times for 2 place primes.  Oh well.  All of that snagging confirmed my rightful place as pack fodder.

As mentioned I missed the circuit.  The 3's had a good day and Malm got 5th, though I'll let him tell you why that's disappointing.  Here's a shot of him in a break that stayed away until the last turn.

 _MG_2141

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! Your podium picture isn't showing up though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daggum newfangled computing machine! I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete