Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Golden State Crits and Circuit

I'm not particularly good at crits, but I've decided I like them anyway and would like to figure them out.  This past weekend was the Golden State Series, a local and enjoyable couple of days of racing.  Saturday I was able to do the 30+ 4/5 as well as elite 4 category.

The 30+ race was fun.  I stayed near the front and was able to snag a wine prime.  For the uninitiated this is a lap of the race where they call out that the first person across the line wins some wine.  It's not the final lap, but is meant to encourage speed and entertainment.  I was able to attack on the back side and catch a solo rider before the line, so Juliette finally got something out of my racing ;)  I didn't end up figuring out the final lap however and ended up 13th.

 _MG_0877
I'm not actually at the back in this picture.  Perhaps people don't like riding behind me.
You guys can be honest, am I squirrelly?

The 4's race was fast and fun as well.  I was already pretty beat from the earlier race so I decided to ride at the front and get into every possible break.  A junior from Bicycles Plus and I stayed away for about a lap and then I attacked him before getting caught which allowed a few other guys to bridge to me.  Sadly, no one wanted to work.  With 3 laps to go I was pretty drained and ended up mid-pack, but low and behold I was not a total loser.  Turns out they had a "most aggressive racer" award and I found my niche.  A second bottle of wine and a hat.

Please also note in the above picture my stealthy Odell crabon tubies.  I been "running" these since Chico but needed to give a shout-out.  I'm not sure who I'm actually advertising to since the only people who read this blog are Odell, Malm (who has a pair of Odells) and my wife who doesn't ride.  Marc, that leaves you.  Consider me a high pressure salesman.

Sunday was the circuit and I decided to leave my aggressive ways behind me.  Didn't turn out as well for me, but Brasel more than made up for it with some aggressive photography.




1 comment:

  1. I think naming people in your blog is pretty aggressive salesmanship. Must be the same fire that keeps you attacking off the front!

    ReplyDelete