Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chico Stage Race

This race report is a little late so I'll probably remember things even less accurately than usual.

Day 1 was the Paskenta Road Race course, a 45 mile loop, mostly flat with some rollers and a 4 mile stretch of gravel.  Right from the gun two guys attacked off the front and the field wasn't entirely eager to chase them back.  A little more than halfway through the course Brasel went on the attack and had a few guys with him.  I dutifully followed wheels and contributed nothing and over the course of a couple miles this shattered the field.  Once I was satisfied I threw in and made it to the lead group, making it 7 guys chasing the original 2 off the front.  We caught to 2 leaders and only one could hang on with us and this was the selection before the gravel.  I figured I was safe and sat at the back through this, but that turned out to be a mistake because even with a small group I was swerving and braking too much and lost contact.  Brasel started his sprint a little early but snagged 7th and I was not caught by the group behind, so I held onto 8th.  All in all, not a bad day.

Day 2 was a downtown crit in Chico and it was fun.  The plan was for Brasel to lead me to the front with 2 laps to go, but as it turned out Brasel had some early umph and I sat up at just the right time for him to get into a small breakaway.  Just about every team was represented and Schuyler was doing some great blocking for Rio Strada.  At some point 3 of the 6 break mates fell off and were swallowed up but Brasel was committed and ended up taking 2nd and gaining some time in GC, IN A CRIT!  Pretty sweet.

Not much to say about the Time Trial except that I appear to be sucking a little less at this.  I definitely felt the pain of not having the right geometry, since I basically threw bars on and wore a TT helmet.  Brasel had a phenomenal TT, but unfortunately so did 2 other guys.  He ended up 2nd overall on GC and I held on for 10th.  Pretty fun weekend.

Here's a pic of Brasel crushing it.

 _MG_2828
Link

And here's a pic showing how much draft I get off of Brasel :)

 _MG_2718
Link

No comments:

Post a Comment