Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wente Vineyards

This was not my day.

 _MG_8492
If you look closely I think you can see me way back there, losing ground to this guy on the climb.

The above picture summarizes well how my legs felt going into this race.  I had plenty of rest due to travel, and perhaps it was too much rest.  Nonetheless it was a beautiful day and I love this race so I was determined to enjoy myself.  I was already off to a better start than the guy whose tire blew within seconds of the official blowing the whistle.  I also gave one of my stupid little attacks about a half mile from the first climb.  The first and second time up the climb were uneventful for me, and I was kind of disappointed that everything seemed to be staying together.  A theme for me this year in road races has been selections.  Since I'm too stupid to actually race my bike, I prefer these wind swept or climby races to do my thinking for me.  A selection finally came on the 3rd time up the climb and I wasn't in it.  There appeared to be two splits and I was able to catch what ended up being the third during the descent.  We had about 7 guys working together but I quickly discovered I was unable to pull through. I was toast.  The guys were cordial enough about my wheel sucking and I explained that I would not be coming around them on the last part if they were willing to let me sit in.  They obliged and we took the finishing climb slower than I thought possible.  I felt like I was doing one of those fixie bike who can go slowest races.  I can't complain though, because I probably wouldn't have made it without the tow.

My next hilly adventure will be Pescadero in late June.

No comments:

Post a Comment